Alfred Williams Folk Song Collection
Alfred Williams Manuscript Collection
- First Line
- Date collected
- Roud No
- Alt Ref No
- Src Contents
- Named Tune
- Child No
- Laws No
The Alfred Williams manuscript collection is now held at the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre, Cocklebury Road, Chippenham SN15 3QN (http://www.wshc.eu/our-services/archives.html), previously held at Swindon Public Library.
The Centre holds an extensive collection of Williams' papers, under the catalogue number WSRO 2598, which includes correspondence, notes and proofs for his poems, articles and books, photographs, and so on.
But only his Folk Song materials are included in the Full English. These selections are drawn mainly from section WSRO 2598/36, which comprises 6 bundles of MS material, mostly in Williams' hand, but also includes a few isolated pages (e.g. some newspaper cuttings) from elsewhere in the collection.
See also the extensive collection of transcripts, notes, and other material, compiled by Chris Wildridge for Wiltshire County Council website: http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/folksongsintro.php
See also: Ivor Clissold, 'Alfred Williams: Song Collector', Folk Music Journal 1:5 (1969) pp.293-300; A.L. Bathe, Pedalling in the Dark: the Folk Song Collecting of Alfred Williams in the Upper Thames Valley 1914-1916 (PhD dissertation, University of Sheffield, 2006). Leonard Clark, Alfred Williams: His Life and Work (New edn., Newton Abbot: David & Charles, 1969).
- Author / Composer
- VWML Location
- Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre
- Printer / Publisher
- Pub Place
- Pub Date
- Assoc Source
- Date extant
0 media items.
- AW Alfred Williams Folk Song Collection (This record)
- AW/1 Alfred Williams Collection Bundle 1: Berkshire and other papers
- AW/2 Alfred Williams Collection Bundle 2: Gloucestershire
- AW/3 Alfred Williams Collection Bundle 3: Oxfordshire Songs
- AW/4 Alfred Williams Collection Bundle 4: Wiltshire Songs
- AW/5 Alfred Williams Collection Bundle 5: Miscellaneous
- AW/6 Alfred Williams Collection Bundle 6: Folk Songs Introduction, rough notebook and cuttings